Request to change academic year Pre-primary to Year 10

The Authority requires all schools to implement the Western Australian Curriculum and Assessment Outline (the Outline) to meet the learning needs of all students.

The Pre-primary to Year 10: Teaching, Assessing and Reporting Policy and Policy Standards communicates the mandatory requirements for teaching the Western Australian (WA) curriculum and for assessing and reporting student achievement.

Student achievement is required to be reported for all learning areas for all years from P-10 in line with the policy.

Pre-primary to Year 10 students transferring between schools in Western Australia

Schools are reminded that students in Western Australia transferring between schools midway through the calendar year must remain enrolled in their current academic year.

Upon registration, schools should check SIRS for the student’s previous school details and ensure students are enrolled to continue in the same academic year as they were in at their previous school. This ensures students continue with their current year-level studies within the Western Australian Curriculum and Assessment Outline.

At times, schools may request a change to a student’s academic year.

For example:

A student may need to repeat a year due to:

  • illness
  • personal family circumstances
  • relocated from Interstate
  • relocated from overseas
  • home-schooling.

A student may have been assessed to be at a higher level than their current academic year:

  • relocated from interstate into incorrect year
  • identified gifted and talented.

Note:  Parent approval must be obtained prior to completing this online request however the request needs to be completed by a school representative.

When a school uploads the student registration demographic (SRGDG) file to the student information record system (SIRS), a Processed with Warnings message appears when there is a mismatch between the upload file and the recorded information in SIRS for the student’s academic year.

The SIRS message means the record for the affected student has been ignored and the school will need to complete this online ‘Request to change academic year Pre-Primary to Year 10.

Any queries please email

Request to change academic year Pre-primary to Year 10 application form