Codes for the new WACE courses, 2015-2016
Linley Scott (08) 9273 6367
The course codes have changed for students studying courses in Year 11, 2015 and Year 11 and Year 12, 2016. The new codes have been introduced to cater for the new course structure and to comply with the new WACE requirements. The codes can be found on the Authority website at the following address:http://wace1516.scsa.wa.edu.au /assets/Course_Offerings_2015-16.pdf.
Structure of the new WACE course codes
Generally, the course codes have five characters. Where a course has a defined context, then the course/context code has six characters. The structure of the codes is outlined in the following table for ATAR, General,Foundation and VET Industry Specific courses.
Third to fifth characters
Unit or year
A – ATAR course
1 – Unit 1 Year 11
* Please note that the course codes identified in the VET industry Specific syllabuses will be updated in Term 4 at the same time as updates are made to the qualifications to ensure they reflect the latest release of the relevant training packages. Until then, you may access the updated codes under the VET Industry Specific learning area page on the WACE 2015-16 website (early in Term 2).
Examples of courses (excluding Preliminary) and their codes:
- General course, Unit 1 Year 11, Materials Design and Technology, Textiles – G1MDTT
- General course, Year 12, Materials Design and Technology, Textiles – GTMDTT
- ATAR course, Year 11, Materials Design and Technology, Textiles – AEMDTT.
The structure of the codes is outlined in the following table for Preliminary courses.
Third to fifth characters
P – Preliminary course
1 – Unit 1
Examples of Preliminary courses and their codes:
- Preliminary course, Unit 1, English – P1ENG
- Preliminary course, Unit 4, Materials Design and Technology, Wood – P4MDTW.
Feedback invited on draft WACE Manual 2015–16
Vanessa Peters (08) 9273 6703
The Authority seeks your feedback to help make the document as comprehensive, clear and easy to use as possible.
A brief online survey is available on the website at the address above.
Survey results and other feedback will help fine-tune the Manual, which will be finalised and available to schools by the end of the 2014 school year.
WACE 2015–2016 webinars for heads of learning areas
Graeme Quelch (08) 9273 6758
To support the implementation of the revised WACE 2015–2016, the Authority is presenting a series of webinars designed for heads of learning area of courses where there has been either major change or where the course has been adapted from the senior secondary Australian Curriculum.
All heads of learning area are encouraged to participate in these webinars which will provide the opportunity for detailed discussion about the specific changes to content, assessment and examinations for each course. Additional information has been provided to principals.
Heads of learning area are encouraged to register their interest by using an online registration link in the webinars section of the Authority’s WACE 2015–2016 webpage – http://wace1516.scsa.wa.edu.au/. Heads of learning area may register to attend more than one webinar.
The webinars start on 5 May. Each is scheduled to run from 3.30pm to 4.30pm. Registrations are now open and close on Friday, 2 May 2014.
The registration page contains details of system requirements and what participants can do to make the most of the sessions.