General Information, SIRS and Enrolments
Extension for completing the online Student Declaration and Permission submission
Kerry Tarrant (08) 9273 6770
Thank you to schools whose students have submitted the online Student Declaration and Permission at: https://www.wace.wa.edu.au opens in new window. Many students have not completed the process and the School Curriculum and Standards Authority (the Authority) has extended the final date for submissions to Thursday, 16 August 2018.
Please note: Students will be required to complete the Student Declaration and Permission when they log in to the portal before they can gain access to other important information such as their examination timetable.
Students can access the submission page at: https://www.wace.wa.edu.au opens in new window.
Information for teachers can be found at https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/the-wace/student-declaration.
The following students are required to complete the online Student Declaration and Permission:
- all Year 12 students
- Year 11 students who are studying ATAR Units 3 and 4 and sitting the 2018 ATAR course examinations
- Year 10 students who have been given approval to study ATAR Units 3 and 4 and sit the 2018 ATAR course examinations.
Failure to complete the submission process may impact schools with students who:
- may win an award (including students who are not sitting ATAR course examinations) and who have not indicated their preference to have/not have their name published in the media
- are unaware of the requirements for achieving the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE).
Schools are requested to ensure all students complete the submission process by the extended deadline of Thursday, 16 August 2018.
Schools can monitor which students have completed the online Student Declaration and Permission via the report CSE058 – Student Release Choices by Provider.
The pathway to the report is Reports > Other reports > Report type: Students, Report: CSE058.
The Authority appreciates your assistance in obtaining this important information.
OLNA 2018 Round 2 – Preparations
OLNA helpdesk (08) 9273 6726
Schools with Years 10 to 12 students are reminded about the following important dates and information.
OLNA 2018 Round 2 testing window
Monday, 27 August to Thursday, 30 August
Numeracy and Reading
Monday, 27 August to Friday, 21 September
Student and Staff preparations
Principals are reminded to complete the tasks in the Checklist for principals on page 23 of the OLNA Handbook. This includes:
- emailing the OLNA Declaration form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 July 2018. The OLNA Declaration form is available via https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/assessment/olna/schools.
- identifying any changes or additions to disability adjustments by 7 August 2018.
Coordinators are reminded to complete the tasks in the Checklist for OLNA coordinators checklist on page 25 of the OLNA Handbook. This includes:
- ensuring any changes or additions to disability adjustments have been entered into the OLNA Dashboard by 7 August 2018. The OLNA Dashboard can be accessed at https://assess.scsa.wa.edu.au/admin.
- providing students, by 27 August, with the OLNA Information for students sheet. A template copy is available via https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/assessment/olna/schools.
The OLNA Handbook is available via https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/assessment/olna/schools.
IT staff/Coordinators are reminded to conduct system and network checks as contained in the OLNA Test-delivery website user guide available via https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/assessment/olna/schoolsunder OLNA Test-Delivery Website User Guide.
OLNA publications and forms
All OLNA publications and forms are available from the Authority website at https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/assessment/olna/schools.
Final dates for Year 12 students to withdraw from courses, 2018
Jenny Offer (08) 9273 6313
Schools are reminded of the final dates to withdraw Year 12 students from courses:
- Friday, 27 July 2018 – final date for withdrawing students from ATAR courses with practical examination components. No changes will be made to student enrolments in these courses after this date.
- Friday, 17 August 2018 – final date for withdrawing students from ATAR courses which do not have practical examination components. No changes will be made to student enrolments in these courses after this date.
- Friday, 17 August 2018 – final date for withdrawing students from General, Foundation, Preliminary and VET industry specific courses. No changes will be made to student enrolments in these courses after this date.
Enrolment process for WACE Languages courses in 2019
Hanneke Rekelhof (08) 9273 6724
WACE Language courses in 2019:
- Chinese (Second language, Background language, First language)
- French (Second language, Background language)
- German (Second language, Background language)
- Indonesian (Second language, Background language, First language)
- Italian (Second language, Background language)
- Japanese (Second language, Background language, First language).
Teachers and schools are reminded that an Application for permission to enrol in a WACE Language course in 2019 must be completed by all students intending to study Year 11 or Year 12 WACE languages course units in 2019. Students who have previously applied are not required to submit a new application, unless a change in their circumstances means a new application will need to be considered for 2019.
The application is available on the School Curriculum and Standards Authority website at https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/syllabus-and-support-materials/languages. A checklist and information on how to complete the statutory declaration can be found there as well.
Schools must submit applications to the Authority by:
- 27 July 2018,or earlier if they start the 2019 school year in Term 4, 2018
- 24 August 2018,or earlier if they start the 2019 school year in Term 1, 2019.
Schools are requested to submit completed applications promptly and address them to: Administrative Assistant – Languages Enrolment, PO Box 816, CANNINGTON WA 6809.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the school for completion and resubmission. After the due date, applications will only be accepted for new students within two weeks of the student enrolling at the school. The closing date for Year 12 enrolments in 2019 is Thursday 4 April. No Year 12 applications will be received after this date.
Enrolment determinations can be viewed in SIRS Report CSE205. A process exists for students wishing to appeal the language enrolment determination. The application form can be downloaded from https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/syllabus-and-support-materials/languages.
Vocational Education and Training (VET)
Endorsed Programs update July 2018
Leanne Meldrum (08) 9273 6746
New programs added to the 2018 Endorsed Programs list
The following programs were endorsed by the Authority’s Board on 24 April 2018 and are available to students in Years 10, 11 and 12 for WACE recognition from 2018.
School-developed endorsed programs:
- Australian Islamic College: Applied Islam 1 and 2
- Living Waters Lutheran College: Christian Studies for Senior School Students
- North Lake Senior Campus: Citizenship Program
- Perth Modern School: Independent Research Project.
Provider-developed endorsed programs:
- AUSTSWIM Ltd.: Teacher of Infant and Pre-school Aquatics
- Central Queensland University: Start Uni Now (SUN) – 8 units
- Just Start It International Pty. Ltd.: Industry-driven Innovation Program
- Kwinana Industries Council: iProjects
- Murdoch University: FlexiTrack High
- United Nations Association of Australia (WA): Global Citizenship and Sustainability – 4 units.
A description of each program, the provider’s contact details, the allocated unit equivalence and the period of endorsement are detailed on the Authority website. The web link for endorsed programs is:
Program provider name changes
The following program providers have changed their name, though their programs are still offered:
- Certiport is now Prodigy Learning
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards is now Awards WA
- Department of Parks and Wildlife now Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.